Thursday, November 13, 2014

Oh the Sights You Will See - #7, 8, and 9

Spain is a culture that walks a lot more I was used to when moved here.  There are times when I still prefer to get in the car and go somewhere, but I really will miss the walking when we are in the states next year.  We walk to do small errands, we walk to go out to eat, we walk to catch the bus, ....  Every time that I go out with time to enjoy the walk I see something new.  I love it!

#7  Locals selling their vegetables


Throughout our pueblo you will encounter different Spaniards sitting out by a card table with their fresh produce.  This is almost always produce from their own garden and you never know what you will find.  As I was walking through town today I stopped at three different "tables" hoping to find sweet potatoes, but no luck.  I did chat with older man (had to be 70+) who actually had his table set up on a sidewalk that was only as wide as his table.  Everyone had to walk in the street to get around his table.  What adventures!

#8  Las Abuelas

Age does not slow down the people from walking.  I love to walk down the small narrow streets of the town where you will find the abuelas (grandmas).  They are either pushing their grocery carts through the town or walking arm in arm with a friend.   They have one volume so it is impossible to not hear their conversations.  Today I overheard two ladies talking about how fun it is to watch their grand kids taking their first steps.  I have decided that when I have grand kids (hey kids - no hurry) I want to be called abuelita (little grandma). 

39  The Crazy Sights


Of course not everything you see when you are out walking is loving or beneficial.  There are of course crazy things that make you shake your head.  For example, today I passed an older man beating a tree in his yard with a broom.  He was trying to get all the dried leaves off the tree so that he could rake them all at once.  Then at another intersection where I was trying to cross the street I had to wait on a car that was backing all the way down the street.  It was a one way street and the car apparently didn't want to go around the block so he just backed up instead.  Of course there is also the cathedral that is being built out of all recycled materials, three wheeled motorcycles, pink mopeds, and one of my all time favorite - motorcycles with tops.  Also not uncommon to see someone in a wheel chair being pushed down the middle of the street or a child riding push toy through the grocery store.  I love how this culture always surprises me and very often keeps me smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment