Thursday, November 13, 2014

#4, 5, and 6 - It is all about FOOD

Where has the month gone?  It is flying by and life is so full I am at times not sure which way is up.  I guess it is appropriate that I am too busy to blog (I didn't move to Spain to sit at home), but I miss time for writing.  Still dream of writing a book - but when in the world would I have to write?

#4 - Smell of fresh baked bread

Today I walked around the corner to buy a loaf of bread for lunch (yes, we buy fresh bread everyday - a loaf of bread is 0.45€, about $0.56.  When I got there today the owner told me that the type of bread I wanted wasn't ready and I could wait 5 minutes or buy a different type.  5 minutes?  Oh my, definitely worth the wait for hot, fresh out of the oven bread.  So, yes I bought two loaves - one to snack on while walking home and one to actually have at lunch. 

#5 - Gifts that Keep On Giving


Within the first six months of our arrival in Spain, a couple of friends sent us a care package.  Inside the care package were two 9" cake pans.  Spaniards don't bake cakes the same size or shape that Americans do and thus my recipes just weren't turning out.  Saturday is Alex's 16th birthday and I pulled out the pans today to make him a cake to take to a youth retreat this weekend.  Every time I bake a cake I breathe a thank you to those gals that sent me the pans.

#6 - Adaptability

When we first arrived (more than 3 years ago - who can believe that?) I was face a recipe or a craving with the thought "can I get that in Spain?"  now I face those same recipes/cravings with "how can I do that here?"  Yes, there are still things that I want sent in care packages and brought along with every friend or team - JIF peanut butter, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Miracle Whip, Italian Salad dressing mix, and a few other things.  It used to be stressful to approach a recipe with questions of how do I do that.  Now it is fun and brings lots of contentment to decide how to make a taste of home with ingredients I can find here!  Love that God is changing is me!


No comments:

Post a Comment