Friday, November 14, 2014

#15 = 16

Today I am thankful for Alex - my "baby" who turns 16 today.  I cannot believe he is already 16!  Where have the years gone?  He took us by surprise when we found out he was on his way and again when he decided at 32 1/2 weeks he was ready to greet the world.  He has kept us laughing and smiling on a daily basis.  He loves life and is out to embrace every possible moment.  When at 13 we moved to Spain he chose to go to Spanish public school - without more than a handful of Spanish words in his vocabulary.  He signed up to play on the school soccer team and navigated the system while we stood in amazement.  After three years here in Spain - 3 years that involved 3 different schools, 3 different home towns, and a ton of other changes he is struggling with being gone from "home" for 4 months next year.

He has taught me so much.  One lesson I have learned from here in Spain is that a lot of life is about your attitude.  He was a picky eater forever.  When we arrived in Spain he proclaimed his new leash on life "I am going to like all foods."  Sure enough, he began to eat and attack foods that he wouldn't touch before.  The boy who ordered his hamburgers completely plain - no vegetables, no sauce - requested that I make cream of zucchini soup.  He loves fish and grilled salmon.  Did his taste buds change overnight?  Nope.  His attitude changed.  I wonder how many things if I would just wake up with a new attitude would have a better "taste" in my life?

I cannot imagine my life without Alex.  I am blessed to be able to call him my son!







No comments:

Post a Comment