Monday, January 6, 2014

Changes

I cannot count the number of times that I have said "I do not like change."  I guess God has decided that is a part of my character that needs to be molded and thus He has placed me in a season of life that can only be described by the word change.  We are once again finding ourselves deeply immersed in a season of change.  (Keep checking back over the coming weeks to read of all of them)

One big change began last October when I was asked to return to the classroom here in Spain.  As a
Evangelical Christian Academy - the MK school
child I loved the idea of being called to be a teacher.  I went to college and got my degree and entered the teaching world filled with the idea that I had the power to change the world.  Unfortunately, after ten years of teaching I found that as a Special Education teacher I did very little to change the world and instead a lot of paperwork.  I left teaching and said "I never see myself back in the classroom."

Hmm, that word never seems to always cause problems, doesn't it?

After months of searching for God's direction in my life, in the year 2000 I went back to school and got my seminary degree in Christian Education.  Ok - so that should have been a sign, but I really felt that I was at a turning point in my calling to education - I wanted to help teachers (in the church) be better teachers.  I found myself teaching at conferences across several states, helping lay teachers in the church be better teachers.  I became a Children's Minister and felt I had found God's calling.

And then...

There was the "fateful" trip to Ecuador where I found a new passion - short term missions.  Interestingly enough, over the coming years I would find myself in several different countries teaching teachers.  Hind sight is 20/20 - but good grief, how did I miss that education was always going to be a part of my life?

And now I find myself in Spain.  Our family came as "church planters," the latest buzz word in mission agencies.  Wait!  Don't react to that sentence - church planting is essential! New churches in unreached parts of the world (including Spain) are crucial!  But somehow I heard that phrase so much that I was only able to put that label on my calling here.  "I am a church planter."

And then....

I found myself in an intensive language course (praying to pass the proficiency exam) and distracted by my cell phone that just chimed there was a new email.  It was from the headmaster at the MK school where Alex had just begun.  Oh no!  What has he done?

Whew!  He wasn't in trouble, but I was afraid I was about to be.

A teacher at the school needed to resign immediately and return to the states due to a family crisis.  They needed a trained teacher to step in and teach 12th grade English.  Would I pray about taking the position?

NO!  I am not going back to teaching!  NO!  I am a "church planter!"  NO!  I came to Spain to change the world, not teach MKs!

So, yes, I am stubborn, but at least wise enough to pray before proclaiming those things to the world.  And in a still small voice I heard God say "I created you for this."  Due to a variety of other circumstances that were occurring at the time SEND leadership agreed this was not only a good thing for the school, but a good thing for me.  One week later I found myself introducing myself to a group of 8 students.  I had first day of school jitters and all the excitement of a new school year came rushing back. 

Yet, what do I do with the fact that I am a "church planter?"  I struggle and wrestle with God.  That is what!  I work to define what does that really mean?  I deal with the question of "but what about all our financial supporters who see us as "church planters."

And then within the first week of teaching I received an email from a parent who had read my syllabus and background.  She wrote "When I read your sheet on the assignment I recognized right away you are an experienced teacher.  I am so thankful you are taking this position.  I am sure you are leaving other areas of ministry undone for this time.  I  really appreciate it."  Her son has some struggles at school that match my training.  She and her family are planting a new church.  Could it be possible that by my being a part of providing the education her son needs I am allowing them to remain faithful in their church plant and thus I am helping "plant a church?" 

Then I read this article Teaching Children of Missionaries is Real Missionary Service.  Ok, God I get it.  But will those back home get it?  I don't know, but I am also learning that is not my problem.

And now, in the midst of a season of more changes, I find myself in the classroom a little more.  Beginning tomorrow (today is King's Day so Christmas vacation isn't quite over) I will be a long term sub in 7th and 8th grade English.  (My minor was Calculus... wanna explain why I am teaching so much English?)  One of our fellow missionaries has VISA issues and had to leave the country.  She is still waiting on the problem to be resolved so I am stepping in to help while waiting on my language scores and etc. 

Again, that question is being raised in my head.  Is this what I came for?  Then I look at Alex, who has this teacher for 9th grade English and see how much he has grown in his walk with Christ and how he has blossomed since beginning this school in August and I realize that without this school it is likely that we would have to make some hard decisions for him before he graduated.  It is because of ECA (the school) that we can confidently move forward as "church planters." 

Then I stumbled across a group of videos done by Thom Votaw putting a better picture on MK teachers.  Here are two Parents May Have To Leave Their Own Jobs To Become Teacher and Bible Translators in Papa New Guinea Need Teachers.

So, back to the classroom I go.  For now I will continue to teach 12th grade English and sub for 7th and 8th grade English.  I am in the process of talking about an exciting potential "change" for the coming school year.  And I will cherish the fact that God is allowing me to not only help "plant one church," but instead to "plant" many.

Lesson learned (at least for the day).  Be careful with the word never!

No comments:

Post a Comment