Thursday, January 2, 2014

A New Year, A New Blog, A New Tomorrow

I have been silent on m original blog for awhile now.   Mostly because life has just been
overwhelming (schedule, life in a foreign country, exams, classes, children, travel, ministry, ....), but also because I felt like God was telling me it was time for something new.  As usual, God only gave me one direction at a time. 

Then earlier in December a friend of mine posted on her facebook page that she had begun to pray for her word for 2014.  Word for a year?  Huh?  I knew several from our home church did this, but kind of thought it was a little odd or something so never paid much attention to it.  (*See the bottom of this post for her "story" of her word for the year)  In fact, this year was no different.  I didn't pray for a "word," but I have been praying for some answers to some very difficult questions - all questions that had to do with the coming year. 

Then just this weekend another friend posted on her facebook page Philippians 3:13-14

"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind (like unmet expectations of myself, mistakes, hurts) and straining forward to what lies ahead…(like sending my second off to college, facing many unknowns in 2014, continuing to grow in my relationship with Christ) I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” (parenthesis are her notes)  

As I read that, it was like God yelling that is what I have for you for this coming year - letting go of what is behind and straining toward what tomorrow holds.  (by the way, this same friend posted a few days later her word for the year - think God is trying to get my attention)

As I began to pray about what this verse held for me - the hope and excitement that comes from being able to throw off all the hurt and disappointments and failures of what is behind and strain towards the prize of the call of God in the "mañana," I began to realize God had given me His word for the year.  I've always been known to be a little wordy, so I guess it is natural that my "word" is actually several long sentences.  :)

I also realized last night that this was what God has been preparing me for in regards to the blog.  It was time to "forget what lies behind" and "strain toward what lies ahead."  I know that a blog seems like a simple thing to leave behind, but for me, it is a concrete, physical motion of moving forward.

Who knows what this new blog will hold?  Maybe it will look just like the old one - filled with stories and pictures and recipes - or maybe God has something totally new for here as well.  Either way, I know that the reward of pressing forward is worth it all!

Hope you are up for another edition of my ramblings. 

So with all that said - what is your word/verse/focus/paragraph for 2014?  What do you need to leave behind?  What do you need to do to strain toward tomorrow?  Hold on!  I believe 2014 is going to be one wild ride!






*Shirley's story of the yearly word:  For those who don't know about my yearly word --- I was challenged in 2003 to pray and ask God for a word for the new year. Thought it was hooky but God convicted me to try -- my first word was obedience -ouch. What a blessing and walk with God it's been!!! Examples: 2007 was told to focus on Philippians and how that carried me thru my Dad's cancer diagnosis and death AND planning a wedding!!! 2011 and 2012 words were hope and joy --- what words to carry me thru those trying years (and it was neat to see how God ministered to others thru my joy pictures). Some words fun some hard (trust fellowship thanksgiving) but all taught me more about Gods character and hand on my life! So I encourage you to PRAY for your 2014 word -- it's NOT your plan/wish/resolution but Gods (and let me know and be apart of Gods working). It will amaze you!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment