Saturday, February 15, 2014

No Greater Love

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. (John 15:13)

I am very blessed!  I experienced this love on Friday.  Scott and I have been studying together, praying together, correcting each other, struggling through texts and more together, failing together, and finally, last November, taking the language exam together.  Then yesterday came, and the paths divided.  I was prepared for the division, but not for the paths that they took.  You see, I knew Scott was a better Spanish speaker, writer, listener, ... than me.  In fact, our tutor, our neighbors, and others also realized this.  People weren't thinking this to be mean, but he is gifted in language learning and for me it is just really, really hard (it is hard for him too, but he has a great ear for it - I on the other hand am convinced that what I say sounds just like what I had heard, but usually it doesn't).  So I had prayed and prepared for when the scores said he passed and I did not.  I wanted to be able to celebrate with him all the way to the depths of my heart and not let my disappointment put a wet blanket on his day.

Then yesterday the scores came.  We opened them together.  We opened mine first and I had passed.  We both yelled, high fived, hugged, laughed, and all the fabulous reactions.  Then we opened his scores, and he did not pass.  We hugged, moaned, read them again, sighed, and all the disappointed reactions.  


Scott and I this summer in Mérida
I tried to no longer be overly happy.  I tried to hold in the excitement of passing.  I was shocked.  No one saw this outcome as a possibility.  

Then Scott said to me "Celebrate!  You passed!  I am happy for you!  And if you let my not passing keep you from being happy and celebrating and jumping up and down, I am going to be upset with you.  I am proud of you!"  

He put life to those words of the Bible.  Even greater than his disappointment was a happiness for me.  He was able to lay down his disappointment and celebrate with me.  

I am so very loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment